Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, headquartered in Rochester, NY, is part of a $6 billion family of companies that finances and delivers health care services across upstate New York and long term care insurance nationwide. Collectively, the enterprise provides health insurance to more than 1.8 million members and employs about 6,000 New Yorkers. The company has financial strength ratings of B++ (Good) by A.M. Best and "A-minus" (Stable) by Standard and Poor's.
Previously, the company's BlueCross BlueShield operations were known as: BlueCross BlueShield of Central New York, BlueCross BlueShield of the Rochester Area, and BlueCross BlueShield of Utica-Watertown. Today, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield maintains a strong local presence through four regional headquarters and additional field offices:
- Central New York Region, based in Syracuse with an additional office in Watertown;
- Central New York Southern Tier Region, based in Elmira with an additional office in Binghamton;
- Rochester Region, based in Rochester; and
- Utica Region, based in Utica with additional offices in Oneonta and Plattsburgh.
As upstate New York's largest nonprofit health plan, the company remains committed to three core principles:
- We exist to assure, in the communities we serve, that as many people as possible have affordable, dignified access to needed, effective health care services, including long-term care.
- We recognize the need, and our responsibility, to reach out to all segments of the communities we serve, particularly the poor and aged and others who are underserved, to enhance quality of life, including health status.
- We are committed to being a nonprofit health insurer.