Do You Want to Lose Weight? Start Snacking!
Healthy snacking throughout the day can help you maintain a healthy weight.
“When you eat healthy snacks, you tend to consume fewer calories throughout the day,” said Patricia Salzer, a registered dietitian and a health and wellness consultant with Excellus BCBS. “You’ll feel fuller longer and be less likely to overeat or reach for unhealthy foods.”
“People typically reach for potato chips for a snack,” she added, “but among the best foods to eat are a handful of almonds.”
Salzer splits a day’s serving of almonds (about 23 almonds) in snack size bags and leaves them in key locations (desk, purse, glove compartment, etc.), allowing herself to enjoy one bag a day.
Another healthy snack suggestion is to pair a small amount of cheese with whole grain crackers. The protein in the cheese will help keep you fuller longer, Salzer said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also offers the following healthy snacking tips:
- Try three cups of air-popped popcorn instead of oil-popped popcorn. You’ll consume 73 fewer calories.
- Avoid the vending machine. Pack an eight-ounce, nonfat, no sugar added yogurt. That’s 82 fewer calories compared to a package of six peanut butter crackers.
- Consider packing vegetable sticks and fresh fruit, “nature’s fast food,” Salzer said.
- Substitute a sugary 12-ounce can of soda with a bottle of carbonated water for 136 fewer calories.
- Instead of chocolate sandwich cookies or other sweet snacks, eat one large orange.
Individuals who stay at a healthy weight also reduce their risk of developing many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, and some forms of cancer, Salzer said.
Fresh fruit ideas to help manage your weight | Test your knowledge with our healthy snacks quiz