New York state law requires that health insurers seek premium rate approval for community rated products from the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYSDFS) prior to issuance of premium rates.
- This law requires us to give certain subscribers and their employers an initial notice explaining our proposed rate change.
- The premium rate changes that we request vary by specific products.
- The actual changes will not be known until approval, and we will notify our customers of any rate change at least 60 days prior to the appropriate implementation date.
We work hard every day to provide our subscribers and their employers with the best health care value possible. If the rate adjustment for your current product does not meet your budget, we offer a wide variety of other products at prices that may fit your needs.
Employer Initial Notification
Samples of the letters mailed to employers are attached below. You must Log In to view these files.
2014 Requested Rate Changes
2013 Requested Rate Changes by Quarter
- Follow this link for a more detailed narrative describing the premium rate filing (PDF).
- If you are uncertain as to when your rates renew or the rating region your group is a part of, please contact your Account Service representative or Broker.
If you've received a letter from us about a requested rate change, the law gives you a 30 day window of opportunity to:
- Request information from us -
- subscribers can contact the phone number on their subscriber ID card
- employers can contact their Account Service representative or Broker
- Submit any written comments to the Superintendent of Insurance -
- Please note that the name of the insurer should be included on any correspondence and that written comments submitted to the Department will be posted to the Department's web site, with personal identifying information removed
- Please be sure to identify "Excellus Health Plan, Inc." and its dba, "Excellus BlueCross BlueShield" as your insurer and indicate that the type of your policy is large group HMO or Medicare Supplement in the comments.
What Drives Premium
We've prepared the following resources to help you learn more:
Flash presentations require Macromedia Flash Player. If you don't already have it, you can download it now: Download Flash Player
You will need Acrobat® Reader to read and print PDF files. If you don't already have it, you can download it free at www.adobe.com.