Pain & Symptom Management
Pain is an uncomfortable feeling that comes from injury, disease or damage to your body. Pain is sometimes a nuisance, or it may be a signal that something is wrong. If you are currently suffering in pain, talk to a doctor, nurse or other health care professional, so that you can be prescribed treatment or medicine to help relieve your pain.
For futher information on helping yourself manage pain, how to control your pain, and your rights and responsibilities regarding pain relief please read more.
Some helpful tools and resources for pain management include:
- Comprehensive Pain Management Booklet for Consumers
- Questions for you to Answer About Your Pain Prior to Visiting Your Physician
- Myths and Truths About Pain
- Additional Pain Management Resources (includes links, printable booklets and other self-help tools)
- Advance Care Planning Booklet (Includes NYS Health Care Proxy and Living Will)
- NYS Health Care Proxy and Living Will
- Other State-specific Advance Directive Forms
- Community Conversations on Compassionate Care (CCCC) Video: Five Easy Steps
- Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST)
- MOLST Video: "Writing Your Final Chapter: Know your Choices…Share Your Wishes"
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) vs. Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)
- Feeding Tubes
- Pain Management
- Palliative Care
- Compassion And Support Video Library
- CompassionAndSupport.org in Spanish
- Resource Directory
- Educational Community Events