Announcing Excellus BCBS Partnership with Express Scripts
We continue to look for more ways to provide you and your clients with the best service with the best value. One of the ways we can do this is to partner with a Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) who will maximize benefits for employers and members. Starting January 1, 2016, our new PBM partner is Express Scripts.
Express Scripts supports our strategy to provide best in class technology, discounts and long-term solutions to manage trend and optimize member safety and outcomes.
The move to Express Scripts will be in two phases
Phase 1: Moving Mail Order from PrimeMail to Express Scripts
- Beginning January 1, 2016 Express Scripts will begin to fill all home delivery pharmacy prescriptions currently with PrimeMail.
- Wegmans will still be able to fill home delivery prescriptions.
- If a member currently uses PrimeMail for home delivery and has a prescription with refills remaining, the prescription will automatically be transferred to Express Scripts. Refills will then be available to order through Express Scripts beginning January 1, 2016.
- No compounds and controlled substances can be transferred. The member would need to obtain a new prescription for those items.
- Members will receive a detailed notification 60 days in advance of the change. We will send you information about this notice as we get closer. Our web site will be updated with Express Scripts information.
Phase 2: Excellus BCBS will transition all PBM services from MedImpact to Express Scripts effective January 1, 2017. Those services include claims processing, pharmacy network contracting, and rebate management in addition to the mail order pharmacy. As a result of this transition new ID cards will be issued to all members with pharmacy benefits.
Our Excellus BCBS Rx team will continue to oversee and manage ongoing strategies, formulary management and integrated care management programs. Our team will also continue to support your account management team to support your clients with trend management programs and benefit consultation. In short, we remain the service lead to your clients.
We’re already hard at work with Express Scripts to ensure a smooth transition for our members. Our goal is to keep you and your clients up to date on this transition, and will send updates as we move toward January.
Please look for updates in this Broker Update, or contact your Account Consultant with any questions.