NYS Mandates Regarding Contraception and Medically Necessary Abortion Services
In June, the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) issued two, final regulations regarding coverage of the following benefits:
- FDA Approved Contraceptives
- Mandatory compliance with new fill rates (this is dictated by the prescribing physician):
- Initial three-month supply
- Subsequent nine-month supply for the same contraceptive, or
- Full 12-month supply at the initial point of service
- Coverage for Medically Necessary Abortion
- Mandatory coverage for medically necessary abortion services – covered in full for all plans, with the exception of health savings account (HSA)-qualified, high-deductible health plans (HDHPs).
These mandates will apply to all fully insured business as well as Article 47 employers.
We are currently working to meet the aggressive implementation timelines for these new regulations and to prevent any operational issues impacting open enrollment.
Please contact your account representative with any questions.